Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Sad Yarn

A couple days ago, I had to go to Fond du Lac for my dentist appt. Since I was in Fond du Lac I had to include a little side trip to Joann's fabrics. Not that I need anything, mind you, I go just to look and fondle fabric and yarn and get grand ideas about projects. Anyway, no fabric caught my eye, (or hands) so I headed to the back of the store where the yarn is kept. Most of the yarn at Joann's is pretty basic, but I was just checking to see what might be on sale. You never know when sale yarn will come in handy, especially with the gift giving season coming.
In the far corner of the store I found some yarn on clearance for half price. (I can't remember the name). This yarn is an import from Italy, 100% wool and so so soft. They had some pink and white left, a lot of purple left and enough aqua left for a sweater. I swear that this yarn was sadly calling to me, telling me that it wanted out of the clearance bin. The yarn bands were falling off, and the yarn was starting to tangle. The clearance bin was no place for a soft, sweetly colored Italian yarn. I put the purple yarn in my basket, thinking about how much my daughter would like a sweater. Then my willpower grew strong, and I put all the purple back. I walked around the rack and looked at the other yarn for sale, but I didn't see anything else I wanted on the other side. I picked up the aqua and held it up to my wrist and thought about a sweater for me. I put all the aqua yarn in my basket. But how much yarn would I need? I looked at the yardage and did a little figuring. Each soft beautiful little skein only had 73 yards. I would need at least 15 or so for a sweater. Even on sale, not quite enough of a bargain for my checking balance. So no yarn for me on this day at least. The aqua yarn went back to its cage in the clearance bin.
I felt so guilty leaving the yarn in the store. It was almost like going to the animal shelter, and leaving that little kitten behind. So if anyone would like to save some yarn from a sad tangled fate in the clearance bin, I know where you can find some. That is, if you get there before me, because I'm not sure I'll have enough willpower next time I get to Joann's.

No comments: